The financial services sector is undergoing continued technology driven disruption.
Customer expectations are changing and innovative new technologies are reshaping the future of financial services.
We have helped two of the Global Top 10 Fintech new entrants of 2015 and some of the world’s largest financial institutions achieve their business objectives. Our clients benefit from our deep Financial Institutions sector knowledge and recognised expertise in emerging technologies. Whatever stage your business is at we can help you navigate the challenges of implementing new technology solutions and business models in an increasingly complex regulatory environment.
Our integrated Fintech and Insurtech sector team brings together specialists from across the firm with expertise and experience in this fast moving area. Our strong relationships with financial institutions, regulators, funds and insurers ensure that we bring an understanding of the business and regulatory environment in which you operate, as well as a pragmatic and commercial approach to helping you achieve timely business outcomes.
"We have been delighted by the responsive and pro-active approach Bond Dickinson have taken throughout these latest exciting developments for Atom. They have become integrated members of the Atom team, and always deliver an excellent service.”
Anthony Thomson, Founder and Chairman of Atom Bank
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)117 989 6837
What we do
As well as advising on core areas such as M&A, equity financing, financial services regulation, technology exploitation, intellectual property, data protection and employment we have specialist expertise in the following areas:
- Payments and transfers: e-money, mobile payments, mobile wallets, pre-payment cards, ATM and point of sale infrastructure
- Lending and financing: online loans and mortgages, crowdfunding, peer to peer lending
- Wealth: robo advice, online wealth management
- Insurance: peer to peer networks, telematics, cyber insurance and other technology related insurance products
- Financial information services: financial data licensing, data analytics, apps, APIs
- Banking: Implementation and mobilisation of entire banking operations and services, from current accounts to wealth management.
Examples of work
- Zouk Capital on a €40m Series C round of funding in iZettle (a provider of mobile payment services and apps)
- Atom Bank (the UK’s first digital only bank launched in April 2016) on its £135m fundraising; IP protection and all aspects of its IT mobilisation. Atom Bank has been listed as one of the world’s top ten Fintech innovators in the “Fintech 100” 2015 report published by KPMG and H2 Ventures
- Advising established players and recent startups in the Peer to Peer (‘P2P’) lending space, on their regulatory and documentary requirements
- Advising Old Mutual International on contractual arrangements for the development and implementation of a new wealth management platform
- Advising TSB on a seven-year exclusive distribution agreement with Aviva to underwrite general insurance products under the TSB brand through TSB’s 600 hundred branches and on-line. Arrangements include a menu based approach to home insurance supported by industry leading digital capability
- Impulsepay on regulatory aspects of the launch of its Charge to Mobile product. Supported by all UK mobile networks, Charge to Mobile offers secure ways for consumers to make online payments with their mobile phone bill or from pay-as-you-go credit
- Advising Old Mutual on its investment in 360 Dot Net, a provider of innovative customer relationship management solutions to the financial services industry
- Citi is one of our largest financial institutions clients for which we act on a wide range of technology supported fund and trade and treasury services, from major software procurement and implementation to complex, multijurisdictional customer contracts
- Crowdfunding aggregator and recently FCA authorised platform BusinessAgent on its various investment fund raising rounds and intellectual property and data protection issues arising from data collation
- Mogo Holdings on a series of transactions relating to the launch of its innovative user authentication and verification app in the UK. The app enables consumers to share online banking data to confirm income and expenditure assessment in real time. Our advice included technology licensing, fundraising and financial services regulation
- LV= on its acquisition of a majority stake in Wealth Wizards Limited (a provider of automated on line retirement advice)
- Advising Post Office Limited on the re-tendering of contracts for the Post Office Card Account (POCA). The Post Office Card Account provides simple banking services for over 1.6m people without a traditional bank current account, to ensure they can receive the benefits, tax credits, state pensions or war pension to which they are entitled. We are providing transactional and regulatory advice on arrangements with a prime contractor who will deliver systems integration and subcontracted banking services.