You want lawyers who can guarantee your deal will complete and provide the security that comes from expert guidance; this is exactly what we offer.
By taking the time to get to know each of our clients and understanding what matters most to them, we are able to anticipate and deliver the right expertise, level of service and value. That’s why our lawyers invest in forging long-term relationships, built on trust, with all of our clients.
Our team of national experts is trusted by some of the industry’s leading names. Clients include specialist real estate lenders, borrowers, investment banks, funds and independent investors, as well as developers and commercial organisations.
We work hard to deliver prompt, practical solutions that strike the right balance between innovation, ambition and risk management. Spanning everything from bilateral, multi-funded and syndicated facilities through to loan workouts, real estate mergers & acquisitions and joint venture structuring, we make sure to ask the right questions from the outset, so we can present the right answers and get you the right results.
In particular we are able to draw expertise from across the firm, building niche sector teams with an embedded understanding of the challenges your organisation faces in each unique project. We’ve advised on a significant amount of development, investment, construction, education and healthcare real estate financing projects, as well as real estate organisations across the social housing, energy & renewables and transport & infrastructure sectors. In short, we think our track record as market leaders speaks for itself.
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)1752 677639
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
- Bespoke solutions for secured lending transactions if need be negotiated with client’s in house legal or securities team (e.g. tailored due diligence exercises, bespoke certificates of title, individually negotiated title indemnity policies)
- Acting for banks or borrowers in the funding of residential and commercial investment portfolios
- Funding of offshore vehicles (limited partnerships, trusts or companies)
- Advising on security implications of complex tax driven corporate structures and re-organisations
- Securing of public sector grants from “business support” micro loans to Regional Growth Fund grants
- Restructuring of property portfolios/disposal of assets/making ready property assets for marketing
- Acquisition/funding of medical professional businesses, student accommodation, development and regeneration projects etc.
We have expertise across a range of sectors including:
Examples of work
Leisure Park Refinance
- We advised the bank concerned on a refinancing of a top tourist attraction. There were a variety of unusual items to be considered including the legal position regarding the various rollercoasters and other adventure experiences and equipment on site (with third party funders, etc). In addition, given the rural nature there were a number of matters to be dealt with regarding access, drainage, etc as well as the transfer of the adjoining camp site as part of a group reorganisation and rebanking exercise.
Commercial Investment Refinance
- A £90M refinance of a £135M commercial portfolio of 90 multi-let properties. Terms were agreed with a new funder and the refinance completed within five weeks. A team of 40 people (including our specialist planning team) was required to carry out extensive property due diligence and to produce and negotiate CLLS Long Form 7th Edition Certificates of Title for all 90 properties in order to ensure that the refinance completed before the deadline.
A large banking client
- We acted in the £5M refinance of a bilateral loan. A cross-office team was put together to meet demanding timescales. We were required to review, negotiate and approve CLLS 7th Edition Certificates of Title prepared by the Borrower’s solicitors in respect of two commercial investment properties in Sunderland and Watford and provide the Bank with an Overview Report in respect of those Certificates. The refinance was required to complete urgently and was indeed completed within three weeks of the date of instruction.
The LPA Receivers of an office and industrial development
- We were appointed to act for LPA receivers 2 years ago and have been able to proactively assist with asset management of the industrial & office park to create a number of lettings and thereby enhance value, before completing a disposal of the freehold for significantly in excess of the original estimate. The work involved a variety of steps to regularise occupation, rent charge provisions and other matters to ensure that the asset became institutionally desirable.
Our clients include: Handelsbanken, Santander, Ahli United, Duncan Lawrie, Bank of Ireland.