From strategic planning, site acquisition and financing to delivery model or investment structure we know about residential property and housing.
We’re proud to be one of the leading firms helping house builders, local authorities, registered providers and funders achieve their objectives.
With experience gained from acting in the public and private sectors, in both the City and across the UK, on schemes ranging from major urban mixed-use developments to green field new settlements, our team is immersed in the residential and housing sector. With particular specialism in private and social housing and the private rented sector we are in tune with the ever-changing marketplace and understand the demands facing these sectors.
Across the firm we have one of the largest real estate teams in the UK, providing support to our residential and housing clients. In particular this might include planning advice or direction on corporate structuring, tax, environmental or housing litigation matters.
Whether we’re working with traditional and LSVT housing associations, ALMOs, charities and for-profit Registered Providers; or national house builders and funders, we are committed to delivering an outstanding client experience that can’t be beaten. We recognise that high quality advice and value for money founded upon long term relationships are key to our success. That’s why we’ve structured our team to ensure that you have access to all levels of experience throughout every transaction. It’s one of the reasons clients turn to us time and time again.
It matters to us that we ask the right questions. We want to be the people that unblock obstacles and get you the results you need with speedy, accurate and commercial advice.
"They've got real strength in depth and are always able to field someone of sufficient status and authority to handle the work."
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)191 279 9546
What we do
We have particular experience in residential development and investment work, social housing, retirement living and student accommodation, providing the following services:
- Development agreements
- Options / pre-emptions
- Collaboration agreements / promotion agreements
- Housing litigation
- Joint Venture vehicles
- Real Estate Finance
- LABVs, LHCs, LLPs
- LA and RP powers and state aid
- Local Authority and owned vehicles
- Planning / CPO
- Mixed use schemes
- Stock rationalisations
- Stock transfers
- Site acquisitions and disposals
- Housing management.
We have expertise across a range of sectors including:
Examples of work
Bond Dickinson advises Grainger on Strategic Partnership with Sigma Capital
- We advised Grainger, the UK's largest listed residential property owner and manager, on an agreement with Sigma Capital Group plc, the residential and urban regeneration specialist, to deliver regional private rented sector developments.
- The agreement granted Grainger the exclusive option for an initial four year term to acquire development opportunities of 100 units or more sourced by Sigma, to create a large-scale Private Rented Sector ("PRS") portfolio across the key cities of England outside Greater London.
- Under the agreement, Grainger will appraise each development opportunity individually. A number of sites have already been identified that Grainger and Sigma are looking to progress.
Fabrick Housing Group
- We acted for Fabrick Housing Group with regard to the provision of a £25,000,000 term loan facility from The Royal Bank of Scotland plc to Fabrick's subsidiaries Tees Valley Housing Group Limited (“TVH”) and Erimus Housing Limited (“EHL”)) to facilitate the implementation of a stock rationalisation exercise whereby approximately 1200 properties were transferred between TVH and EHL in order to rationalise the geographical spread of the properties managed by each Association to additionally assist TVH and EHL in their on-going property development programmes. This included due diligence on all stock and preparation of certificates of title for all stock being charged to RBS.
Akelius Residential Limited
- Akelius Residential is a Swedish real estate company. Founded in 1994 Akelius today has 43,000 apartments at a total market value of 47 billion Swedish Krona. They currently own in the region of 1,000 residential units within the M25 and are looking to increase that figure to 10,000 at the projected rate of 1,000 units per year. We have received instructions on a number of matters relating to a total of 170 units for a total spend of just over £46m. In addition to the real estate transactional work, we have been instructed by Akelius’ property management arm in relation to rent possession issues and also by their development team in relation to the appointment of third party consultants.
Grainger Chelsea Portfolio
- We advised Grainger on their £160m acquisition of 61 dwellings from Property Investments (Chelsea) Limited. The 61 properties are located in the sought after areas of Chelsea and Knightsbridge in London. 45 of the houses are subject to regulated tenancies, 13 subject to assured shorthold tenancies, and the remaining three are vacant houses. Grainger will refurbish and modernise the houses, which spread over nine streets.
Bellway – Arcot Cramlington Scheme
- We advised Bellway in relation to their proposed large scale development scheme in conjunction with Persimmon Homes, including strategic planning advice in relation to the expansion of the South West sector in Cramlington for major residential development, and section 106 negotiations in support of a hybrid planning permission for the development of the first phase of housing and detailed infrastructure and roads.