With strong client relationships with many of the top UK retail brands, we’re proud of our leading reputation.
We’ve invested heavily in our retail and consumer goods sector offering over the last 25 years and our team has grown to become one of the largest dedicated retail and consumer sector legal teams in the UK market.
It’s no accident that we’re considered amongst the leading retail teams in the UK. Over the past 25 years, as the sector has undergone significant challenges and change, we’ve helped our clients to anticipate risks and opportunities so that they can make the right decisions.
With over 70 specialist legal experts in our retail sector group, our practice is truly reflective of the speed of change and growth within the sector. Clients include three FTSE All Share Companies (Kingfisher Group, J Sainsbury plc and Signet) as well as Whitbread, the Post Office, Specsavers, New Look, Colgate-Palmolive Clarks, and Doddle. With specialist ecommerce expertise we work closely with clients to determine a risk profile that is right for them, protecting their interests whilst balancing legal and commercial pressures in order to outpace the market and competitors.
Whether you’re a retailer, retail landlord or consumer brand, already global or just starting out, we work hard to put ourselves in your shoes. To ask the right questions and get you the commercial and legal solutions you need. Across the full range of national and international retail and trading law issues, including business transformation programmes, consumer channel management, development projects, or commercial disputes, our unrivalled sector understanding is hard to beat.
But don’t just take our word for it. We are proud to work closely with key industry bodies including the British Retail Consortium, the British Council of Shopping Centres (BCSC), Property Managers Association (PMA) and hold Senate Membership of the IMRG (the retail e-commerce trade body with whom we provide an overview of the UK and EU regulatory structure).
''This retail group is gaining national recognition as one of the heavyweights in the market. Its competitive rates are hugely appreciated by clients: The lawyers are great value for money and have a fantastic grasp of the industry, so they really know what they’re doing."
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)2380 208 260
What we do
We advise retailers, retail landlords and consumer brands on the full range of retail and trading law issues, both nationally and increasingly internationally. Services include:
- Intellectual Property and Brand Management
- Employment and pensions
- Commercial contracts
- Franchising and concessions (internationally and nationally)
- Food and product regulation
- Advertising and marketing
- Property (portfolio management, leases, licences and redevelopment)
- Data Protection and Freedom of Information
- Dispute Resolution
- Supply chain contracts
- Loyalty Programmes
- Omni-channel retailing
- International expansion
- Store rationalisation
- Health and Safety
- Corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Banking and Finance
- Due diligence on acquisitions and re-financings
- Planning and Redevelopment
We have expertise across a range of sectors including:
Examples of work
- Doddle Parcel Services Limited - we have helped the Doddle team with a wide variety of their business needs from advising on regulatory requirements through to supporting their nationwide new store roll out.
- Kingfisher Group - we have worked on a variety of projects for Kingfisher this year, from software licensing agreements with ATG, to omni-channel technologies for B&Q stores to worldwide group wide global frameworks with Wincor for technology services. Much of our work with Kingfisher is exciting cutting edge retail technology, often using the latest tech developments to enhance in-store experience.
- Post Office Limited - The firm has played a significant role in supporting the Post Office Limited’s Network Transformation Programme - the largest project in the Post Office Limited’s history - including supporting their in-house team in developing the implementation methodology, as well as generating and managing the development of all documents used in the programme.
- Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited - We acted on behalf of Sainsbury's in its application for a judicial review of the decision of the Independent Reviewer of Advertising Standards Authority Adjudications in respect of the Tesco Price Promise advertising campaign. This matter received considerable coverage in the national and legal press.