Skip to main content
Menu

We'll work closely with you to support your M&A plans building a multi-disciplinary team to suit the transaction and applying our genuine sector knowledge.

We believe in building deep and lasting relationships with client teams, understanding how you approach deals, and whether they are a one-off event for your business or a common feature of your strategy, so we can advise you best.

With strength and depth across all types of acquisitions, disposals and competitive bids, including public takeovers, we take a hands-on approach to transaction management. Because we get to know your business and the things you want to achieve, we can build a team that is tailored exactly to fit you and your transaction. We work hard to ensure everything goes to plan and deliver the results you want.

Drawing on specialist legal expertise as required to resolve the often complex legal issues raised by M&A transactions, you can rest assured that, with us, you’re getting clear, prompt, practical solutions on areas as far-reaching as real estate, pensions, employment, tax, intellectual property, competition and regulatory law. Our multi-disciplinary deal teams understand the importance of providing a timely and seamless service and of working effectively with your other professional advisers as part of the wider deal team. Our M&A work frequently involves multiple jurisdictions and we're able to draw upon our established network of trusted international law firm partners to advise on local law issues.    

What matters most, however, are long-term, flexible relationships and spending time to understand how you want us to work with you. Many of our clients come back to use us time and again, turning to us for outstanding knowledge of the sector in which they work. From chemicals & manufacturing, energy & natural resources and financial institutions through to private wealth, real estate, retail and transport & infrastructure, our clients include quoted companies, household names, owner-managed businesses and multinationals as well as financial investors and entrepreneurs.

"They're very good, and they do genuinely add value." 

"They're excellent - they are always commercial and pragmatic in the solutions they offer. They are professional and work hard to assist clients in achieving their outcomes."

Chambers 2017

“Clients report that the corporate team provides commercially-savvy advice and good levels of client care.”

Chambers (UK)

Get in touch

Partner
T:+44 (0)191 2799842

What we do

We provide advice on:

  • Deal structure
  • Confidentiality, exclusivity, information memoranda and heads of terms
  • Financial promotions
  • Auctions
  • Legal due diligence (including vendor due diligence)
  • Transaction documentation including warranties, indemnities and the tax covenant
  • Disclosure
  • Financial assistance and other company law issues
  • Completion accounts and locked box mechanisms
  • Price adjustment mechanisms including earn-outs and retention
  • Restrictive covenants
  • Managing the completion process including timings and approvals
  • Post-completion issues such as announcements, filings and stamp duty
  • Specialist areas such as real estate, pensions, employment, tax, intellectual property, competition and regulatory
  • Cross-border issues
  • Takeovers – hostile and recommended
  • “Class” transactions and reverse takeovers under the AIM Rules and the Listing Rules
  • Schemes of arrangement.

Examples of work

  • We advised the Dematic Group on its £23 million acquisition of FSU Investments Ltd, which holds a 75% stake in SDI Group Europe and on its mandatory offer for the remaining 25% of the shares of SDI Group Europe.
  • We advised RWE npower on the sale of two subsidiaries, Electricity Plus and Gas Plus, to Telecom Plus, the operator of the Utility Warehouse brand, for £218 million.
  • We advised digital bank Atom on strategic partnership with BBVA and its £135 million fundraising ​
  • We advised Reg Vardy on numerous acquisitions of motor retail dealerships; a £506 million takeover by Pendragon and a competing bid by Lookers.
  • We advised Sumitomo Corporation, one of the world's largest integrated trading companies, on the sale of Summit Petroleum Limited and its subsidiary companies to Ithaca Energy for $170 million.
  • We advised Vertu Motors on 18 transactions, with a combined value in excess of £75 million, including the £31 million acquisition of Albert Farnell Limited.

Our clients include: Anson, Caithness Oil, Chemring, Countrywide Farmers, Dematic Group, Grainger, Huntsman, Melrose, Netplay TV, NICE Systems, Noble Energy, Nonlinear Dynamics, NVM Private Equity, Old Mutual Wealth, Orthogon Systems, REG Group, REG Vardy, RES, RWE npower, Sumitomo Corporation, Transdev, Tullow Oil, Vertu Motors and Vitol.