We work hard to understand your business and objectives so our disputes advice adds real, practical value.
Long-term client relationships are important to us. We want you to have the right people for the job working alongside you. Experts that recognise when cases should be fought and when swift, confidential resolution is the best course of action.
With one of the best litigation teams in the UK, we advise blue chip and FTSE organisation clients.
Our particular expertise lies in providing clear, practical solutions to high value and complex disputes. As a result we have developed dispute resolution specialisms including dispute avoidance, litigation, international arbitration, mediation and out of court settlements.
Across the firm’s sector specialisms and a full range of commercial disputes areas we work with colleagues to build teams that reflect your way of working. From chemicals organisations through to major high street retailers, energy producers to transport organisations, as well as complex private client trusts and wills disputes.
Our approach is commercially focussed at every step. We start by understanding the risks as well as setting out clear strategies for their management. Resolving potential disputes before they arise is always our aim but, if that can’t be achieved, we move swiftly and robustly towards pursuing or defending litigation or arbitration. At each stage we deliver commercial, cost-effective solutions. That’s why we work with you to establish risk geared financial funding options as well as exploring ways to drive down both cost and risk.
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)2380 208154
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
- Chemical disputes
- Financial services disputes
- Oil and Gas disputes
- Power and renewables disputes
- Public sector disputes
- Retail disputes
- Transport disputes
- Will and Trust disputes
- Pensions litigation
Examples of work
- Acting for the UK arm of a major US corporation in relation to two High Court cases against the trustee and members of its UK pension scheme. The cases culminated in trials in 2012 and 2013. Both cases were major pieces of litigation, with the second, in particular, requiring significant project management over a period of three years. In relation to the electronic disclosure exercise, we had to liaise with the clients and their IT specialists in order to collate the potentially relevant document set, which comprised over 4 million documents, and then design a pyramidal structure which allowed us to undertake the review work at the appropriate level, ensuring that the exercise was conducted in a manner that was cautious yet cost-effective. The witnesses in this matter included some of the US Corporation’s most senior executives, with the preparation of their statements involving several trips to the US.
- Acting for Total in an ICC arbitration regarding lifting of gas in Argentina worth $40m in historic compensation.
- Advising a FTSE 250 company in obtaining release of three of its vessels which had been arrested in various foreign jurisdictions. This entailed dealing with active court proceedings in St. Maarten, Antigua, Luxembourg, England and a London based arbitration. The key to unlocking this dispute was securing all three vessels under our client's control within this jurisdiction. This led to the successful resolution of all formal proceedings in all jurisdictions.
- Advising a manufacturer against its supplier in respect of warranty claims in North America, the UK and throughout the EU. The matter was settled on favourable terms without the need for court proceedings.
- Acting for a major Norwegian agriculture co-operative (£500m+ turnover) in a joint venture dispute involving specialist teams in the areas of corporate dispute resolution, employment and insolvency. A unique solution was found by using insolvency procedures and the appointment of an administrator to pressure one of the joint venture partners into agreeing a settlement to the shareholder and director disputes. This resulted in our client gaining a majority and controlling stake in the joint venture at a discounted price.
- Acting for a major household name in the hospitality and leisure sector in managing a Law of Property Act Receivership of over 250 pubs and hotels. The work involved advising on the implications of guarantees, the enforceability of the client's security and formulating a strategy to mitigate the client's potential losses. It then involved extensive project managing of a number of our lawyers across several departments in order to advise on a variety of issues over a four year period. The strategy was effective and assisted the client with saving over £12m.
Our clients include: Total, North Sea Energy, Bombardier, Friends Life, Govia, Ecotricity, Babcock International Group, Cembrit, Arriva, SABIC, Lotte Chemicals, Huntsman, LV=, IBM, Screwfix, , Whitbread, B&Q, Post Office, Sainsbury’s, Pension Protection Fund, British Gas, Skandia, Kingfisher, Centrica and Carlsberg.