The natural choice for clients seeking the highest quality technical expertise, deep sector specialism and commercially focussed advice on finance matters.
Our experienced finance team delivers consistent quality and client experience across all areas of our practice. We always aim to get to the heart of what matters most to our clients, whether we are dealing with financing transactions, acting on contentious or non-contentious matters in the restructuring and insolvency arena, or advising on regulated financial services.
Working across the finance sector we’re there from start to finish. That means, in addition to acting on fund raising transactions, we assist financial institutions, intermediaries and other market participants to meet PRA and FCA requirements. We also provide advice on compliance with, and the implications of, domestic and European financial services legislation, in relation to the creation of new businesses or the launch of new product lines, right the way through to advising clients on strategy in relation to solvent and insolvent restructuring. We provide prompt, practical advice and specialist knowledge in a wide range of insolvency issues, from the first signs of distress, to sales of business in formal insolvency, cost-effective litigation, asset recovery for creditors and the disqualification of directors.
We listen to your requirements and build tailored teams to suit your needs and meet your commercial objectives. Working collaboratively with our clients and colleagues in other specialisms in this way, means our advice is always commercially sensitive, cost effective and business focused.
Most importantly, we’re committed to investment in the best people so that we can continue to serve the finance and business community with the best advice. With over 50 experienced lawyers across the UK, we help you to meet the challenges you face in a changing economic climate and amidst greater regulatory requirements. We actively look for ways to enhance our offering and work hard to make sure you get client service that can’t be beaten.
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)117 989 6920
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
Examples of work
- Advising the trustee of a pension scheme on a complex cross border structured reinsurance transaction relating to an annuity contract entered into by the trustee. As part of the transaction, advice was given to the trustee in relation to structuring and security issues, which included amongst other things, a parent guarantee, a deed of charge over a cash and securities account, a security assignment and charge and related documentation.
- Acting for a listed defence company in relation to the £140 million refinancing of its UK banking arrangements with a club of 3 core lenders. We assisted the company and their UK debt advisors in preparing term sheets for negotiation with all of its existing banks. This culminated in the refinancing and separating out of the facilities into a Common Terms Structure to meet the company's commercial requirements in relation to its trading and bonding bi-lateral facilities.
- Acting on the restructuring of a group of 20 companies operating 32 care homes with 1100 residents and 1800 employees. We advised the Group in relation to the refinance of its £65m facility and a subsequent four month accelerated sales process culminating in a debt sale to an American fund and a pre-packaged administration sale of the operating parent company.
- Advising administrators in relation to the trading and sale of five hotels, following their appointment by a fund, which acquires distressed debt. This included challenges being made to conduct by the former owner of the company, undertaking detailed reviews on title for each of the hotels and issues of set off/cross account combination. During the period of trading prior to the individual sales of the hotels a variety of trading issues were dealt with, including dealing with casual workers, implementing a redundancy process and a number of licensing issues.
- Advising a pension scheme on a review of investment management agreements for the investment of the pension scheme assets including custody and risk analysis. Important due to sums of money involved and investment of the pension fund's assets. This is regular support given over many years.
- Advice to the London Branch of an overseas bank on a £25m cross border real estate investment finance project, marrying advice in four jurisdictions.