We don’t need to tell you that brand reputation is critical to the success of your business.
Working closely with your marketing teams and external agencies we advise on the advertising process from conception to publication. You can rely on us to deliver ambitious, practical, cost-effective solutions giving a commercial risk analysis for each and every campaign message.
Our advertising & marketing team is one of the UK’s leading advisers to the retail and consumer products sector. We’re best known for our work with retailers but advise clients in a number of regulated sectors including financial services, telecoms, digital media as well as the alcohol and gambling sectors.
It matters to us that you feel you have the right people for the job, standing alongside you. Our track record speaks for itself: we regularly deal with the successful submission of both offensive and defensive complaints to the advertising regulator. We handle significant comparative advertising campaigns for clients including Colgate-Palmolive, Specsavers and B&Q, which are inevitably the subject of competitor complaints.
What sets us apart from other firms is our commitment to long-standing, collaborative relationships. We take the time needed to listen to you. To understand your business, strategy and communications values. Our familiarity with the marketing mix means that, coupled with our broad knowledge of the surrounding regulations and legislation, we are able to deliver authoritative risk-based advice that gets results and helps you meet your marketing objectives.
"I think they are very flexible and commercial. They have a really good understanding of our business."
"They are responsive, understand us as a client and give sound advice."
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)238 020 8253
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
- Regulatory compliance
- Comparative advertising
- Financial promotions
- Sales promotions
- Copy clearance
Examples of work
Innovate Product Design Ltd
- We were instructed to advise on the Independent Review of an upheld ASA decision against the clients advertising. The case was particularly complex with a favourable outcome rated at less than 25% at the outset. We committed to reviewing the case with a fine comb to establish its relative merits before identifying a substantial flaw in process that the advertiser was unaware of. After a detailed analysis and collation of the facts we put our case to the Independent Reviewer of ASA decisions who subsequently ruled a reversal of the ASA Councils decisions. The case was particularly technical requiring us to gain a strong understanding of the client's business process and its consumer journey within the 21 day submission limit request for a review. The outcome was successful in that we won the appeal which was a result delivered beyond client expectations and within the initial fee estimate.
- Advising on Colgate's strategic marketing activity and monitoring of competitor products and marketing in the rapidly growing tooth-whitening market. This included advising on product claims both on-pack and in advertising and mounting challenges to competing products, including submitting complaints against Blanx and iWhite, resulting in two upheld rulings by the ASA. Their claims were challenged on the basis that they could not be substantiated and exaggerated the capability and performance of the products. The outcome protected the clients position in the market.
- As SB became independent of Lloyds, they outsourced their financial promotions compliance work to us, which constituted a fully delegated work stream of all consumer facing promotional activity to be reviewed to ensure compliance with the consumer protection, advertising and financial regulations. After several months we were seconded to the bank to oversee the transition of that compliance function in house. Work included rapidly identifying the businesses needs and overhauling a proposed process. The result was a much more clear and streamlined and far easier process to implement at the outset.
- For this exciting new parcel delivery service which aims to put stores across the UK, we have advised on both hard and soft launches on the marketing strategy, launch materials and on promotional offers designed to attract as many UK consumers as possible in a three-month time-frame to sign up to the service. This includes advising on the website terms & conditions, as well as individual promotional terms & conditions and advising on comparative advertising techniques to minimise the risk of competitor complaints.
- Following on from the success of their innovative Property Challenge TV campaign last year which we were heavily involved in, we were tasked with assisting Post Office on its first Christmas TV campaign in 10 years. The script submissions included service claims based on very commercially sensitive data in relation to its Network Transformation initiative and the increased opening hours of its stores. The process required the analysis of data and the subsequent balancing to ensure they could deliver a commercially attractive message without exaggerating or misleading the public.
Our clients include: Carlsberg, Post Office, B&Q, AIG, Sainsbury’s Bank, J Sainsbury’s, Tempur, Colgate-Palmolive, Specsavers and the British Hospitality Association.