We know that brand reputation is critical to the success of any business. Particularly in the retail and leisure sectors.
From our offices across the UK we work with national and international retailers, healthcare, travel and financial services providers on all aspects of consumer law, compliance and liability issues.
With expertise spanning all areas of consumer law we work hard to minimise risk, protect your brand and help you to anticipate the challenges that could slow down your success and growth.
Our work spans contractual issues, B2C and B2B terms and conditions, doorstep and distance selling through to e-commerce issues, consumer credit, data protection, product and services claims and product developments in light of legislative changes. We also provide robust, clear direction in handling prosecutions and other regulatory enforcement actions, and civil consumer disputes.
We understand that consumers are increasingly international - border-less, even. That’s why each one of our specialists has in-depth understanding and knowledge of both existing and upcoming EU and UK consumer law.
But most importantly, it matters to us that we deliver a client experience that gets results. We’re frequently called on to help formulate policy and future legislation. To shape the future of the law in this field. We’re asked to participate in the consultation process on new legislation as well as developing guidance for clients. Whether protecting your brand, when under threat, or planning for industry wide changes, you can trust us to be by your side at every step.
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)238 020 8253
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
- Consumer T&Cs
- Customer website journeys
- Pricing practices
- Promotional T&Cs
- Consumer complaints handling
- Social media and customer interaction
- Brand protection
- Strategic and operational advice around consumer law changes
- Product/service guarantee wording.
Examples of work
Numerous retail clients
Advising on the handling of consumer complaints and specifically on the threatened use of publicity by consumers in an attempt to gain compensation, including the use of social media and the removal of abusive customer reviews posted on YouTube and Trip Advisor. This advice and the speed with which we can get the offending posts removed is critical to clients' brand and reputation.
The British Hospitality Association
We advised on the implications for the hotel industry of the OFT's proposed commitments to settle a case concerning discount pricing by online travel agents of hotel rooms in the UK.
- Numerous retail and leisure clients on the impact of the Consumer Rights Directive, including significant advice on the changes required to the customer journey/websites as well as amending the Terms & Conditions. This has resulted in our proactive horizon scanning service, in which we alerted clients and targets to the forthcoming changes to the legislation, to enable them to ensure compliance before the legislation actually came into effect or where necessary, to ensure that implementation plans were in place, so that any challenges by consumers or enforcers could be dealt with. This horizon scanning service has been employed with similar effect for the Consumer Rights Act, which will come into effect in October 2015.
- Advising a leisure client on an attack on its board being run through a social media channel. This included taking action against the forum owner in order to have the offending posts taken down, as well as advising on its social media policy for employees, in order to prevent inside information being utilised in a similar way in the future.
- Advising a Swiss insurer and its insured, a Swiss hotel and restaurant chain, in a series of multi-party actions brought by holiday makers relating to outbreaks of sickness. By taking a proactive and co-ordinated approach, we minimised the extent of the claims, in terms of both number and amounts and the reputational damage which the hotel and restaurant chain could have sustained.
Our clients include: AIG, British Hospitality Association, Gala Bingo, Gala Casinos, B&Q, Post Office, J Sainsbury's, Sainsbury's Bank, Doddle Specsavers, Carlsberg.