Whether you’re stuck in a licensing emergency, require day to day support or taking your time to plan things out, we’re who you want by your side.
We do everything we can to get you the best results, starting by asking the right questions and listening to what you need us to achieve. We look out for your interests, keep you up to date and helping to minimise the risk to you and your business.
We’re proud of our reputation as one of the leading licensing teams in the UK. Wherever you’re based (our licensing service covers England and Wales as well as Scotland) we’ll be by your side for emergencies as well as day-to-day support.
With a deep and broad understanding we’re trusted to manage the estate licensing administration requirements of a substantial number of national operators as well as sole operators, including making applications for new licences and variations. We provide licensing advice and advocacy for all types of premises, as well as specialist commercial conveyancing assistance and due diligence for licensed property acquisitions and disposals.
But it doesn’t stop there. We understand you need us to respond quickly to all of your requirements. That means that, once licences are obtained, we do everything to maximise, and maintain, their effect, as well as handing reviews, appeals and prosecution. Looking out for your interests at all times. Helping you to take the steps needed to protect your business.
"Bond Dickinson's licensing team has been very well regarded for many years."
"Few people know the intricacies of licensing as he [Ewen Macgregor] does."
"We have used them strategically for the last year; their advice is clear, simple straightforward and easy to understand."
Legal 500 – Provincial Licensing Practice of the Year 2014
“I would like to extend my great appreciation to you for your help in this matter. It is a delight being able to work with a true professional.”
Get in touch
T:+44 (0)117 989 6647
What we do
We have particular experience in the following areas:
- Licensing applications of all types including alcohol, gambling and other specialist licences
- Day to day administration of licensed estates
- Licensing reviews and variations
- Handling prosecution or appeals in relation to licensing
- Defending enforcement action
- Advising on policies and procedures to ensure regulatory compliance
- Due diligence on licensed property acquisitions and disposals.
Examples of work
- Advising on the licensing of a large extension to the Paddington Hilton Hotel, to include separate designated access from the street to the hotel bar for non-residents. Enabling all additional hotel rooms to install mini bars and to provide greater security and access to the hotel bar.
- Advising on potential prosecution of a client for running an unlicensed bar at an international show within Bristol. This involved having discussions with the police as well as careful analysis of the issues and evidence to ensure that no further action was taken, following an interview under caution.
- Advising on the extension of hours for a wine bar within a stress area within Westminster City Council – this concerned the provision of longer trading hours for our client, against the council policy, providing a commercial advantage to the client.
- Advising on the licensing of a motorway service area following threat of prosecution from the local authority. A licence was successfully obtained without the expense and adverse publicity of prosecution for unlawful sale of alcohol.
- Successfully licensing a cinema in Scotland to enable alcohol to be sold and consumed within the auditoria. This was the first licence of its sort to be obtained within Scotland.
- Advising on the licensing of a re-vamped theatre in Scotland following significant redevelopment of a landmark building in Glasgow. This enabled the client to continue to trade during a difficult and lengthy refurbishment programme.